SUE/Underground Locating Tech
The SUE/Locating Tech will pick up utility locate orders daily and use a company vehicle to travel to the location where underground lines must be found. Using the locator equipment, the person will find and tag the areas where the pipes are found. This is with spray paint and flags. The SUE/Locating Tech position is for those that will work long hours as well as Saturday and Sundays as needed. You must be able to work outside in all weather conditions, be able to perform locates in a professional manner, and have the ability to work in a diverse work environment while maintaining a hectic work schedule.
. Locators must attend requested meetings with contractors. Locator must attend a weekly meeting with their supervisor and peers.
- Use laptop computer or other devices to receive, document and close out excavation notices, both during normal hours and after hours.
- Read and interpret utility maps to identify the type and size of underground utilities.
- Use assigned communication equipment to effectively communicate with excavators, utility reps, and company personnel, regarding underground facilities.
- Operate electronic detection equipment to locate and mark underground facilities within prescribed accuracy limits.
- Perform light excavation with a shovel, to expose buried utilities when necessary.
- Ensure that all jobs are scheduled and completed in an efficient manner, according to contract agreements and client specifications.
- Provide accurate documentation and or sketches related to all locates completed.
- Receive and respond to excavation notices during normal and after hours in accordance with established time requirements.
- Operate company vehicle and equipment in a safe manner.
- Schedule routine vehicle maintenance and cleaning as needed.
- Maintain neat, clean professional appearance.
- Adhere to all quality control measures.
- Assist other locators in project completion as necessary to meet customer expectations.
- Assist in training other field staff when required.
- Perform work in all weather conditions, during normal and after hours.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The locator must know how to use paper and electronic maps to pinpoint the location of underground cables and lines. The use of electronic locating equipment, shovels, rods for probing and other measuring instruments is vital to performing the job duties.
The person that performs these job duties must know how to resolve and troubleshoot any problems with the equipment and must follow all processes without deviation.
· 3-6 Weeks
· Trained on reading maps and proprietary software
· Ride along with SUE/Locating Techs
· Entrepreneurial spirit
· Good written and verbal communications
· Independent worker
· Detail oriented
· Must be able to walk up to two miles a day, lift up to 50 lbs, bend and stand for long periods of time, and have good driving habits to perform this type of job.
· Eager to work
· Must be able to determine dimensions and draw schematic sketches
· Must be computer savvy
· Must like to work outside
· Physically Fit – Must be able to lift 50 lbs – Continuous Bending, Squatting and Lifting
· Have a valid Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record
· Must be willing to travel
· Must be willing to work long hours and weekends
· Must be willing to rotate on call
$18.00 to $30.00 per hour, depending upon experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 – $30.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Multiple locations